Thursday, May 6, 2010

Broadway

When I was younger and I thought of Broadway I thought that it was boring and that only old people go there to watch boring plays but I was wrong. Going to New York and seeing all the lights and different theaters that are down there caught my eye, the first play I saw on Broadway was The Color Purple. Watching and seeing that play was so much fun for me to get a chance to be there and see a Broadway play and to hold and see a play bill was cool even thought before I came here I thought that it wasn’t going to be fun for me to watch. Watching The Color Purple was amazing I didn’t know that they would have all the different back ground and props and lights to make you feel like you were right down there in the hot south. The time I had went is when Fantasia Barrion was the main character Celie, she did such an awesome job that I didn’t think she would do and plus I saw an American Idol Fantasia Another Broadway musical that I have seen last summer was The Wiz. Based on the 1978 Movie which was directed by Sidney Lumet, The musical is an all black adaptation of the Tale we all know by heart. The story is about a young women name Dorothy, who got Caught up in a storm following after her dog Toto get sent into Munskinland where she Meet Miss One who told her to never take off her silver slippers, after Dorothy killed the Wicked witch of the east after that she meets the Scarecrow, The tin man and the Cowardly lion, where they are all going to Emerald city to go see the Wiz so that Dorothy Can get home, the Scarecrow can get a brain, the Tin man a heart and the lion some Courage But when they get there the Wiz wants Dorothy to go kill Evillene the wicked Witch of the west so that he can grant them there wish. Instead Evillene finds them and Try to kill them but instead Dorothy kills her. When they return back to Emerald city to let The Wiz knows they found out that he was nothing but a big phony. So after that Glinda The good witch of the north came to Dorothy and let her know that she had the power to Go home all alone if she just click her heels three times, and she did and Dorothy was Back home.This play interests me because they took the Wizard of Oz and put a new spin on it with all Black actors and this was something I always enjoy watching when I was a kid. And I also enjoy seeing the Broadway play of it to. If you go to New York right now there are so many plays that are going on right now. He is some of the most popular show that is play right now. Wicked, The Addams Family, Chicago, Memphis, Promises, Promises, Million Dollar Quartet, Come Flay Away, Everyday Rapture, Avenue Q, Blue Man Group, The Phantom of The Opera, A little Night Music, The Lion King, Billy Elliot and Mary Poppins. One of the longest Running plays that are on Broadway right now is the Lion King. Winner of six 1998 Tony Awards, including Best Musical, The Lion King pulses with an award winning score and innovative puppetry to bring the classic story of young royal heir Simba and the animals of the African Pride Lands to vivid life.

No comments:

Post a Comment